Donnerstag, Januar 11

Half of what I say is meaningless

the scene is thus: german discussion, 9:30 AM, york hall. teacher is describing the beat movement in 1960s germany. Is currently discussing music.

"...such as the Beatles. Is anyone a Beatles fan?"

I weigh my options. I could go non-conformist and not raise my hand. I could justify it to myself-- overrated, haven't listened to them for months, have a newfound approval for the current music scene, see no need to harp on the past. I decide against it. It would be unforgivably elitist not to raise my hand. I raise it.

Half a second later I realize that nobody in my line of vision has raised their hand with me. I look right, I look left, I look right again, twisting my head around for good measure. Nobody in the entire room has raised their hand besides me!

At first I was just mildly embarassed. The class went on and I didn't think about it too much. But now, sitting here considering it, I am completely dumbfounded. Who ARE these people?!!! EVERYONE likes the Beatles. They are VERY FEW people out there who do not like the Beatles! What the odds of 30 non-beatles-liking young college students ending up in the same classroom all at once? It's not that I care about their music taste, though I think it goes without saying that these kids are the rankest of philistines. I am more just baffled by the probability of such a phenomenon having occured. nobody? NOBODY?! So much for not looking like an elitist, eh? my goodness.

8 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

You thought about that decision way too much.

Perhaps it is just that the segment of the young adult population that is interested in learning German doesn't like the Beatles. And you're a statistical oddity.

-Eddie

Unknown hat gesagt…

Look on the bright side, you originally didn't want to raise your hand so you could be seen as non-conformist. Ironically, by raising your hand you ended up actually being non-conformist. At least accidentally.

sarah hat gesagt…

hahaaaaa. maybe you're the only one in the class who can speak german...




AND DID YOU GET MY TEXT MESSAGE OR NOT:
YOTAM ATE MY CHANUKKAH PRESENT! blake, yotam and i were in my room. i was talking to blake and all of a sudden i hear this crunch and turn my eyes to yotam, who guiltily (yet unknowingly) looks up, only for me too let out a shriek of horror and disgust! he said it tasted good though...

Anonym hat gesagt…

my mom hates the beatles. I know, it's weird.

Anonym hat gesagt…

wow that is so strange. but matt has a point. you are unique! in a backwards way!

but yeah maybe the rest of your class just didn't understand the question.

Unknown hat gesagt…

Total Philistines!!!

Especially since the Beatles' time in Hamburg was their rawest, pure rank rock n roller era. NOT the sweetie pies that werre later seen on Ed Sullivan!

They even did a song in German (I forget wich one, though.)

Mandy hat gesagt…

sie liebt dich ja, ja, ja!

Anonym hat gesagt…

There's two German songs on one of the Past Masters albums. Past Masters Vol. 1 is the one, I believe.

-Eddie