Freitag, Oktober 27

Come tomorrow, I'll be on my way back home.

So I went on allmusic just now, because I am bored in class and had to do something. I was typing in the name of some band in the search box when something caught my eye. Today's album of the day is "Something to Write Home About" by the Get Up Kids! Not only that, but the guy who reviewed it back in the day gave it four stars! I found this very surprising because I was under the impression that the get up kids were conisdered by music's elite to be kind of a joke. But allmusic's got it right, I say. How can anyone resist? It may not be the most mature and inspiring music, but for a 14 year old who hates their life, that's some solid stuff. The reviewer guy put it pretty well, I think, when he said, "Imagine if the kids that got made fun of on the back of the bus ended up being the coolest ones in the school. Not through any kind of terrorist revenge fantasy or post-apocalyptic last-people-alive-on-Earth scenario, but what if they were actually the most interesting, most sincere, most talented kids around?" The Get Up Kids in a sense told us that it's ok to be a sensitive, over-analytical nerd. Thus there was always something incredibly appealing about them, despite the harsh vocals and the absurd sounding keyboard. I personally memorized every word of that album during my freshman year of high school, and I think it made me feel better about things on some level. So thank you, allmusic, for not pretending like people don't like the get up kids (cause we all know that deep down we do), and for recognizing an album that, I think, is really quite good despite itself.

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

this was sooo written in linguistics. I remember looking over and seeing you with your laptop haha. I know people who talk about the get up kids (in a bashful kind of way), kind of similar to the way I talk about dashboard. it's so lame, but so good. by the way, did you laugh inside your head when he said, "hold onto your hats, this is where linguistics gets tricky!"... because I laughed out loud. I have no shame.

the black and tan coon hounds went for a walk...