Freitag, April 20

Der Radwechsel

I read this totally great poem in my german poetry class today, by Bertold Brecht, and this was it:

Ich setze am Straßenrand.
Der Fahrer wechselt das Rad.
Ich bin nicht gern, wo ich herkomme.
Ich bin night gern, wo ich hinfahre.
Warum sehe ich den Radwechsel
Mit Ungeduld?



Which means something along the lines of:

I sit on the roadside.
The driver changes the tire.
I do not like where I come from.
I do not like where I am going.
Why do I watch the tire-change
with impatience?



That was my own terrible translation, but you get the idea. Cool, huh? I hope it doesn't sond corny in english. It seems to me like the germans can say anything they want and be so dead serious about it that it never comes out corny. we americans have to be more careful.

1 Kommentar:

Yasha hat gesagt…

I think it is great. I've been thinking for the past three hours that we should eat out when you get home, and now that you're about to get home, I decide to post this.